Well I set this up for your mom to start blogging, but that lasted about a day or so (you know our mom and technology) . . . so I decided that maybe I could use this as a way to capture some of my thoughts about our Everyday Adventures. I really don't know when you will see this or read this, but I hope that you appreciate and enjoy reminiscing our time spent together. I love you always and you make me so proud to be your dad. I look forward to the many adventures and memories that we will share together.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sweep the Streets

One of the things that I think is very important for our kids to learn is how fortunate and lucky they are to have such a great dad . . . just kidding.  What I mean is that what our kids perceive as normal for our family is not the same for all kids.  We don't live an extravagant lifestyle, but I do feel that our quality of life is second to none.  I guess what I am trying to say is that we get to spend a lot of quality time together doing the things we love and working through the challenges that we face as a family.  We are very lucky to have such a loving extended family and a close knit circle of friends who act as sounding boards when we are at a cross roads, an extra set of hands when things go a little crazy in our lives, a community taxi service when we are pulled in three different directions, and a place to share our experiences and perspectives.  Hockey, school, soccer, book clubs, dinners, play dates, and of course crap, I mean Craft Club (sorry ladies!) are just some of the times that allow us to share our lives with one another and stay connected to each other.
Today, was no different as the kids participated in our Seafair Sweep the Streets community activity. The kids were so excited to go around Steveston Village with their little buddies wearing gloves and using tongs to pick up any garbage that they could find.   Even little Emma got into the action by pointing out some of the garbage that she saw to me.  The kids did an amazing job cleaning the streets and had a blast doing it with friends and family.  Jamie and Josh were so proud of their efforts and took their job seriously.  I think that it is great that the kids begin to learn about giving back to the community they live in, thinking beyond themselves, and the power of teamwork and making a difference.  I am so proud of the boys and Emma for their enthusiasm, energy and eagerness to do something where they didn't get anything in return, but the feeling that they did something positive and that they felt good about doing it.  I am truly thankful for the families and friends that love our kids as if they were their own and all the support that we have received in our life's journey.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

Our little helper . . . I think I picked Emma up more than I picked up garbage.


Even the Princess got into the action.

I don't know about this . . . playing soccer in your hockey jerseys???

1 comment:

  1. So many things you said were true. We live in such a beautiful place with so many different activities to do and see and experiences for our kids. We love spending time with your family.

    ReplyDelete