Well I set this up for your mom to start blogging, but that lasted about a day or so (you know our mom and technology) . . . so I decided that maybe I could use this as a way to capture some of my thoughts about our Everyday Adventures. I really don't know when you will see this or read this, but I hope that you appreciate and enjoy reminiscing our time spent together. I love you always and you make me so proud to be your dad. I look forward to the many adventures and memories that we will share together.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Hoodoos / Bernie’s and Brothers / Wayne 11 Bridges

Today, Papa and Grammy joined us as we went to the Hoodoos for a hike . . . more like a climb! 






As we started up the hill, the kids wanted to make it up to the top, of course.  So after a brief look at the Hoodoos, we started our ascent up with Grammy and Papa.  About half way up Grammy and Papa decided that they had gone far enough, however, the kids wanted to continue climbing.  

Note the coffee cup in Papa's hand!  
As we got higher and higher, there was less and less things to grab onto and less traction on our feet.  The steep incline and loose sandy gravel made the trek up harder and harder.  At some points the kids looked like Spiderman climbing up with their hands and feet.  As we neared the top of the climb, the pathway up was getting steeper and slipperier . . . it was like we were nearing the peak of Everest when the voice of reason kicked in and said, “I think we should stop now, I’m getting worried about going down this”.  That voice of reason of course was Michelle, despite seeing the peak within reach we decided that we should head down . . . our Everest would have to wait until another day.  It was a good thing that we started to head down since I had to carefully walk the kids down a section at a time to ensure their safe passage down.  Michelle would go first so that she could wait with Emma as I went back up to get the boys.  So we climbed down section by section, carefully and slowly.  As Michelle put it, “we risked our children’s lives for a good blog post.  This family adventure gave the kids a sense of accomplishment by pushing their limits, but also reinforcing that sense of trust and teamwork in each other in making it down safely.  I must admit my legs were getting pretty tired, as I had to climb up and down each section with the kids.


Finding a cool place to rest
Just about at the bottom.
We made it down in one piece!
If you look way up in the picture you will notice that the path splits into two or three pathways, which is where we climbed to.  
On our way home from the Hoodoos, we stopped at the Star Mine Suspension Bridge, which was used by the miners from 1931 until 1957.  The bridge is 117 meters long and sways very easily as you cross.  Before we crossed the bridge, I grabbed the wires that were holding the bridge and started to move them back and forth and I said to Josh, “Do you think this will hold us up?”  His response was, “It doesn’t seem that strong”.  I guess he wasn’t that worried because he continued onto the bridge without any hesitation.  


When we crossed over the bridge, the boys wanted to climb the hill on the other side . . . I was like no way!  “I dragged your guys’ butts off of the Hoodoos and I don’t want to do it again!”  Dale said to me that they wanted to conquer something today, so up I started again with the boys.  Michelle said that she would wait down below and then asked Emma, “do you want to stay down here or go up with daddy?” . . . knowing full well that she would want to stay with the boys.  So up I went with Papa and the kids up another hill.  

We are the king of the world!
This was a much easier climb, which was great because I was getting pretty tired.  When Josh got to the top of the hill he looked down and screamed at Michelle and Grammy, “I am the king of the world!!!”  Dale was right, they just wanted to get to the top of something.  We found some old nails and some coal that Jamie really wanted to show Grammy and mommy.  This time the trip down was pretty easy with no real problem areas for the kids, which was great for me.


A quick lunch and a dip in the town center fountain to cool off and then on to the next thing on our list of things to do!

One of the things on our list of things to do was to go to a place called Bernie and The Boys Bistro, which was featured on the television show You Gotta Eat Here.  


We decided to go for an early dinner, so we met Papa and Grammy at the small restaurant.  The menu is quite large, but they are famous for their burgers and milkshakes.  Emma ordered the chicken fingers and fries with an Avalanche (Slushie and ice cream together), Josh ordered the toonie burger with a toasted marshmallow milkshake, Jamie ordered the toonie burger with a root beer milkshake, Michelle ordered the mushroom burger with a chocolate milkshake, I ordered the G’s Special with a strawberry milkshake, and as a family we shared some poutine!!!!  
No that is not all mine!!!


All I can say is WOW!!  The shakes are creamy delicious and the burger was a seven napkiner . . . yes seven napkins!!!!  The first bite is monstrous as you try to figure out how you are going to tackle this behemoth . . . as you sink your teeth in, you can’t hide your first bite as the evidence of sauce and fixings is all over your face.  Next time I know to have napkins ready to go.  The only thing I would change in my meal would be to order the root beer milkshake.  Michelle was a little shocked that I ate the whole burger . . . no need for the double or triple burger, the single is more than enough.  A definite repeat for me if we ever venture back here again.

I think they were rolling me out the back door at this time!  Maybe it should be renamed Emma and The Boys!
On our way home, we decided to take a little detour to an old mining community called Wayne.  At one point the population of the town was about 2500 people in its hey day.  Today there is a sign that has a flip counter on it that says the population is currently at 38 people!  


The only thing remaining there is the Rosedeer Hotel built in 1913, the Last Chance Saloon, and the Bee’s Knees and Confection. 

So why did we make this little detour, well the road leading to this ghost town is in the Guiness Book Of World Records.  As you travel the six kilometer drive off of the highway we crossed eleven, mostly one lane, bridges that criss-crossed over the Rosebud River.  According to the Guiness Book of World Records it has the most bridges covering the shortest distance traveled.  This was more of a personal want to take the family over the 11 bridges that made it into the Guiness Book.  When you make the turn off to the Rosedeer Hotel, you have only crossed nine bridges at that time, so after a short visit in Bee’s Knees and Confection store, we hopped back into the truck and continued over the last two bridges . . . just to say that we did it.   A U-turn up the road and we were headed back to the trailer.  Another very busy, fun-filled day in Drumheller. 

1 comment:

  1. We have loved following your trip via the blog. The Hoodoos were our favourite part of that area in Alberta. So cool. It looks like every day is full of adventures for you!

    ReplyDelete