Well I set this up for your mom to start blogging, but that lasted about a day or so (you know our mom and technology) . . . so I decided that maybe I could use this as a way to capture some of my thoughts about our Everyday Adventures. I really don't know when you will see this or read this, but I hope that you appreciate and enjoy reminiscing our time spent together. I love you always and you make me so proud to be your dad. I look forward to the many adventures and memories that we will share together.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Cache Creek

We started our summer vacation off again up in Whistler as Josh had a hockey tournament there.  We had a great time as we spent most of our time with one of his friend's family going to the skateboard park, rainbow beach, and hanging out at the pool.  Josh played really well as he was named the player of the game against the team that ended up winning the tournament.  A proud moment for his dad and his mom.  I think the highlight for me was fulfilling one of my bucket list items for the summer, which was to try Poutine for the first time . . . I know, I know . . . me a "Fry" guy and to have never tried poutine before is quite shameful!  So one evening we stopped into Boom Burger in The Village and I ordered a family size poutine box for the family.  Truthfully, I am not sure if it was good poutine or average poutine, but I must admit that I thought it was quite tasty.  Perhaps I will need to try poutine again so that I can compare the two samples.

"Step away from the poutine kids, Daddy gets the first mouthful"
Our road trip continued from Whistler as we meandered along the highway to Cache Creek.  Lets just say that the winding highway from Whistler to about Lytton almost did our kids in as we tried to get them to focus on anything but their turning stomachs.  Luckily for all of us, we made it into Brookside Campground with no incident.  We did have one casualty however as Michelle told Emma to not fall asleep as we were getting closer to our destination.  About ten minutes later I glanced back in my rearview mirror to see Emma wearing her sunglasses, hoping that we would not notice that she had fallen asleep. Smart, creative little bugger!  The boys were excited to see their Papa and Grammy waiting up for us as we rolled into the RV park.


We spent the morning hanging out at the trailer playing Boom Ball, frisbee, and bocce.  After a quick lunch, we headed out to The Historic Hat Creek Ranch, which was established in the 1870's.  It reminded me of a mini-Barkerville, with its old heritage buildings, Barnard Express Coach ride, and panning for gold.



Learning about the ways of the Shuswap People.

Gun Slinger Jamie
The kids loved the panning for gold activity, as they picked out their gold (iron pyrite) and collection of interesting rocks that they found.  I loved how the kids kept referencing the TV show, Yukon Gold as they panned their pay dirt.  Some of the things they said were,  "An ounce an hour is our goal.  How much is an ounce?" and "Lets just keep sluicing for gold".  I guess they do learn some things from the old tube.

Striking it rich! 
Keep sluicing Josh! 
I think the boys could of stayed here until they made their millions!
One of the things that Josh was able to cross of his Summer Bucket List was to try his hand at the game horseshoes.  He did really well for the first time.  After three hours we were finally done, I think I was done about an hour before that as I was melting in the summer heat.  Back to the RV park for a quick swim in the pool to cool off and refresh ourselves before dinner.
Tomorrow, we have a long travel day as we are heading to Jasper for our next stop on our journey.  Hopefully the highways will be more kind to our kids as we travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment