Well I set this up for your mom to start blogging, but that lasted about a day or so (you know our mom and technology) . . . so I decided that maybe I could use this as a way to capture some of my thoughts about our Everyday Adventures. I really don't know when you will see this or read this, but I hope that you appreciate and enjoy reminiscing our time spent together. I love you always and you make me so proud to be your dad. I look forward to the many adventures and memories that we will share together.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Schwakida 2011

Well we survived our third annual Schwakida trip with the Schwartz's.  Camping with the Schwartz's was very interesting to say the least . . . first of all they packed up and fit all of their camping stuff into a Toyota Matrix with a small Thule box on top.  Now, I am all for fuel efficient cars and traveling, but two adults and two small kids, camping gear, kids entertainment stuff, clothing, and the suitcases full of Adam's photography junk in a Hot Wheels car????  Lisa and Adam should be working for Ikea's packaging department.  Anyways, upon our arrival, Adam began setting up his one minute pop up tent (yes it literally took one minute) . . . now I am all for convenience and all, but part of camping for me is for my alter ego, Secret Agent Angus MacGyver, to show himself a couple times a year.  You all know the one, the one that initially starts off all energetic; surveying the campsite, looking for the ideal tent location, checking the surrounding trees to ensure that a tarp can be strung up and then it is time to set up the tent ( I think I need a Doctorate Degree for our tent) . . . soon enough the enthusiastic MacGyver transforms into the frustrated silent worker that Michelle has become very used to over the years (At this time, Michelle usually takes the kids on a walk, I mean a hike since we are in the forest or she simply ditches us and takes a shower).  While I continued to struggle with our mansion, I mean tent . . . Adam was off taking pictures with his instant pop up flash diffuser thingamagig.

Trying to catch the big one, unfortunately we only caught some rocks.

You were not too sure of the waves as you clung to your mommy's arms as she dipped your feet into the water.



The other thing about camping that I love is playing with the camp fire.  Camping is not camping unless you are able to have a fire.  ARG ARG ARG. . . ME CHOP WOOD WITH AXE . . . ME MAKE FIRE!!  ME SURVIVOR MAN!!!  Well, actually I build a little wood tepee and douse it with lighter fluid . . . if Emma didn't have a broken arm, she would probably be able to do it . . . my only saving grace is that the lighter fluid makes everyone else nervous so at least I feel needed and won't be voted off anytime soon.  Besides, both Michelle and Lisa can't figure out how to use the flicker to start the fire.


I must admit that my mornings were a lot more comfortable as Adam and I would make the 10 minute drive into town to pick up lattes from the local Starbucks to get us going . . . even with the GPS we would still make a few wrong turns.  All in all, camping was a huge success and we are planning a second camping trip with them later this summer . . . yes, it is a KOA and apparently there is trick or treating one night and a latte is only a few minute walk away.

Hanging out at the campsite.


A picture of the night owls who cut into our social time . . . you two are lucky that you're so cute!!!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear all about the KOA "camping" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of Jack and Emma. We can show it at their wedding. Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete